thosewhowait

Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Sunday, September 28, 2008

it is college essay time...

...since tim has a doctors appt on wednesday this week i thought i would wait and update the "medical stuff" after that appt. but since every monday you all come to check in i didn't want to disappoint you. i hope meg doesn't mind that i posted this:

(diane...better get the tissues)

My entire life I’ve been asked the question, “Who has had a major influence in your life?” My entire life I’ve answered that question with different responses, none of which were really meaningful, until now. The past two to three years have completely changed my outlook on life, and it’s because of my father.
When I was younger, I always had the best relationship with my dad; he was my best friend. We’d go to baseball and football games together and I’d go “help” him with work, which was more of me socializing with his co-workers and being a distraction than anything. When we moved to Harrisburg, our relationship started to change. We didn’t get along as much, and little things slowly turned into big things. I wanted to spend time with my friends and wasn’t home as much. He worked a lot too, and we just grew apart. We both still loved each other of course, there was just a lot of tension at times and our relationship struggled from it, until recently.
On New Years Eve, 2005, my dad was admitted, for the first of many times, to Hershey Medical Center. Soon after, he was diagnosed with a severe form of lymphoma. Needless to say, over the past two to three years, the treatment went from good, to bad, to worse, back to good, to great, to not-so-good, to terrible, to a little better… you get the point. Eventually the doctors tried a stem-cell transplant, which ended up with great results. His body responded well to the procedure and for awhile the cancer was in remission. A few months later however, it was back, and tumors were growing in multiple spots on his left side of the body. After trying almost every type of chemotherapy his body could handle, a decision was made to stop treatment.
Some people would say that stopping the treatment was the equivalent to giving up and being weak. The truth is I’d say it was the complete opposite. The past eighteen years of my life I’ve looked up to my dad, regardless of how well we got along, and I still do, now more than ever. The reason he made that decision was so he could spend as much time that was humanly possible being happy and living life to the fullest. He wanted to see his daughters grow up, and be able to remember it, not lay in a hospital under heavy medication every three weeks. He knows he’ll probably die, but doesn’t everyone? Whether that time is in a few months or a few years, no one knows. When he does though, I’ll know he spent the end of his life doing what he loved, and living each day like he could never do it again. That takes strength.
When I looked up the definition of the word “fight,” this is what I found: to engage in battle; attempt to defend against, defeat, or destroy an adversary. My father may have stopped the treatments, but he defeated the cancer. He knows that there’s more to life than how long it is. The kind of strength it took my father to not only survive the first two to three years of the cancer, but to take control of the situation and finish his life off strong, is the kind of strength I hope I too can develop. I want to push myself for the rest of my life to make a difference and enjoy it while I can.

thanks for checking in.

tim and tammy (and megan)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was so beautiful. You are truly blessed to have children that love you both and serve the Lord. Megan has such a sweet beautiful spirit, and she expresses herself so well. Tim and you can be proud of the job you have done raising your girls.So many kids today never see their fathers because the father choses to be absent. Thank God for Godly Fathers like Tim who has given his daughters beautiful memories of a wonderful Father. God Bless you All Love Harold & Delores

September 29, 2008 12:26 AM  
Blogger Deb D said...

What a kid... What a perspective. One more opportunity to see God right here in the midst of the battle.

Thanks for sharing...

love,
Deb

September 29, 2008 5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan truly "gets it" doesn't she? Very wise young lady. Beautiful. You and Tim have done a great job.
Love
Jim and Judy

September 29, 2008 8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megan truly "gets it" doesn't she? Very wise young lady. Beautiful. You and Tim have done a great job.
Love
Jim and Judy

September 29, 2008 8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tammy & Tim,
Megan has said it all,God Bless her and all of you. Still in our prayers. Tom & Amy

September 29, 2008 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Megan! And thank you, Tammy for sharing your daughter's amazing message. I've printed it, as I think there is much to be learned from reading it.
She brought tears to my eyes, but also confirmed the peace that God has given me regarding your family.
She's definitely a young woman, but proves the adage..."Out of the mouths of babes..."
I showed the PA pix to my family here, and they commented on the beauty of the girls and the obvious connection between you all.
XO Aunt Katie
I send my love and prayers.

September 29, 2008 4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pre-warning, Tammy, as I wipe the snot off the keyboard! Have to agree with Harold & Delores about the absentee dads and the gratitude I have for the dad I was blessed with; not everyone is so fortunate. Thanks for sharing :) ---diane

September 30, 2008 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this with us Megan (even if you didn't get a choice). It puts life into a different perspective. We love you all. Love you all, The Doyles

October 01, 2008 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home