thosewhowait

Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"the treadmill" part 1

i know that the last few years i have been relatively "in-active" when it comes to an activity or exercise point of view. not just because my friend m.s. keeps reminding me but i can tell when i walk up stairs and try to keep up with the kids at the mall.



i suppose that i can blame tim for part of the problem because of all the countless hours i spent with him in doctors offices and sitting with him while he was in the hospital and watching hours and hours of sports on ESPN when he was home...but ultimately i have to admit that i have been "in-active" because i hate to exercise.



a few months ago i told you all that tim and i had a lot of time (doesn't seem like a lot now) to discuss many many things. i told you the many things that he offered as advice to me for after he was gone and for the most part it was good advice. i don't think that i went into any detail about all the promises that he wanted me to make to him...but i would like to discuss this one.



one of the things that we discussed in great depth was my "lack of motivation" with regard to exercise. he pulled the old line...you should consider yourself lucky that you feel good enough to exercise (unlike him of course). and the older line...it is for your own good (like that was really going to work). and the ultimate gut-getter...do it for the kids...they are going to need ONE parent around. ok...i have to admit it is the last one that gets me everytime!!!



i hated when he pulled that line out...but as you know and i know he was right.



no more excuses...well, at least none that actually will work or so i thought...



so...after he was gone the kids and i got together and decided that we should join a gym together...the only problem with that was that because of our vast difference in what we were looking for in a gym we came up with 4 different places to join. $$$$ not going to happen.



some are looking for quiet and small and members that are old and fat. (that would be me)



some are looking for loud and large and members that are male and ripped. (that would be them)



some are looking for one with a pool. (like i want to put on a bathing suit)



some are looking for a 24 hour key card access (like i want my teenage daughter going to the gym at 2am).



as you can see we hit a wall...there seemed to be NO WAY we were all going to agree on a gym to join so instead we decided to set up our own gym in the basement of our home. so with some of the life insurance money off i went to the sporting goods store to look for that perfect machine that would satisfy my teens BUT not kill their mother.



i was not aware of the new advances in the line of treadmills but after watching them on display i had this sudden flashback to "the jetsons" cartoon and that opening scene with treadmill. i was starting to get scared. then the nice young cute gentleman suggested perhaps i would prefer an alternative to the treadmill and he took me over to the machine called an elliptical...after trying out one of those he wasn't so cute anymore...the 24 seconds that i was able to remain on the elliptical was much less than the 3 minutes and 15 seconds i lasted on the treadmill...so i decided on the treadmill for me and the ellipical for the girls.

so the machines were ordered and i prepared the basement for their arrival. i thought i had prepared myself for the arrival but boy was i wrong...i had to fight such a battle. and i am not talking about the battle of the bulge...i am talking a get down and get dirty internal battle. me versus me. it was so hard...at one point i was ready to just give up and say forget it. you know those cartoons with the little angel on one shoulder (that one had a tim face) and the little devil on the other (that one had a tam face)...that was me for weeks!!! i could talk myself into and out of exercising like a pro...it was like i had a split personality (some may still wonder if perhaps i really do...). was i strong enough to fight through this battle and win or did i use the "it's too soon" defense and put everything on hold for a bit...or are we stuck in the middle somewhere???

interested in the whole ugly story... stayed tuned...part 2 will soon follow.

thanks for checking in

tammy

9 Comments:

Anonymous The Gillott's said...

I was the first to comment! Are we still allowed to comment? Praying for you!
Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!!!
I miss you guys!! I miss Tim. Can't wait to see you guys in a couple of weeks! YOU ROCK!!!
PRAYING
B

April 22, 2009 11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait for part 2! Tammy, you can conquer the treadmill --- go at your own pace! Enjoy this beautiful weather, you're in our prayers ---Diane :)

April 23, 2009 9:23 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Tammy,

That is great. I try to get to the gym but I am not faithful. But, I thought too I would like the elliptical, my first time I struggled to do it 2 minutes. I eventually worked up to 30 mintues but have not done that for a long time. The treadmill you can work at your own pace. Hopefully you have a TV to watch while your working out. I do feel better when I excercise but it is not fun unless you have a partner. I can hear Tim telling your that you need to do this for the girls... I always admired how he could run. That was always something I thought I would like to do but I never worked hard enough at it. Those girls just wanted a gym with buff guys. At my gym there are a good mix of people. Most are very serious and don't even look at you. They have TV's there but no sound. I can not watch and read the words at the bottom at the same time.

You make me laugh. Keep up the good work and we continue to pray for you and the girls.

Love,

Wendy

April 23, 2009 10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly where you are coming from. I know I would feel better but can't quite get motivation. I'm cheering you on from the sidelines. Love, Lu Ann

April 23, 2009 4:45 PM  
Anonymous Heather said...

hey I'm looking to start working out too- infact Ash and I are supposed to do it together- Can I join the Dewalt gym?

April 23, 2009 7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, I can hardly catch my breath, you have me laughing so hard--out loud! And I love your rationalization on the gym ideas/thoughts/options--I'm with you. You really would make an outstanding author! Perhaps you should consider that book idea!

The Dewalt Gym - Tim would be so proud! Sure wish I could join you; but then again, we've paid for a whole year and haven't shown up once at our gym; I can't even remember the name. Hopefully, after lacrosse season, I'll get motivated again. Perhaps you can relate.

You go girl; you can do it! Left, 2-3-4, Right 2-3-4, Keep going!

Looking forward to Part II!

Love and Prayers,

Louis and Martha

April 23, 2009 10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy, have you hit a nerve!! I have to get back to the exercises also!!! One day at a time. Let's get started!! Praying for you.
Love
(Jim) and Judy

April 24, 2009 9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the blog. You will conquer and survive. I have confidence in you. I will come and motivate anytime! Don't let a machine get the best of you. Love, M.S.

April 24, 2009 9:24 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

Tammy,

Just thought I would share with you that at 5:30AM this morning (when I really wanted to be sleeping) I was holding a conversation with the Pepsi driver that I was scanning in. He informed me that he knew Tim well and that he is irreplaceable to the company. He also told me that Tim would always come in and work on Saturdays and would always bring donuts with chocolate icing. He said he really misses him.

-Craig II

April 25, 2009 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home