thosewhowait

Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Saturday, April 25, 2009

"the treadmill" part II

well, let me start off by saying that i am overwhelmed at all the support and stuff that has been directed towards my last blog entry...seems like i touched on a "touchy" subject for some and a "familar" subject for some and "i've been there done that" subject for others.





so i am getting the vibe that you are all wondering if i am going to:





hang the laundry on the treadmill (come on...can i get a witness)





watch the kids use the treadmill





place the treadmill for sale on e-bay





or actually use the rotten thing.



i can tell you that i have struggled long and hard for that same answer...and although it may be too soon to know for sure where this is going... here is my story...



the treadmill and the ellipical are set up just at the bottom of the basement stairs...pretty close to the washer and the dryer so that while i am down stairs i can get something productive done (although what exactly i can accomplish in the 7 minutes i survive on the treadmill is still a bit sketchy).



the first couple of days were kinda like a trial and error experimental time...i would get on the treadmill and hit the start button and pray that i would survive the next 7 minutes or so. then i got a bit better and figured out that there were pre-set routines that you could press and for a time frame of about 30 minutes the machine would just guide you through a work-out program. (i know this because i bought the STUPID treadmill...it doesn't really know if i am actually on it or if i am just standing along side watching it). yes i would find a pre-set workout and hit start and after about 7 minutes i would jump off and just watch it go-watch it go faster and faster and watch it go higher and higher (incline). there was NO WAY that i was going to survive some of those programs...but i finally settled on one they call CARDIO. it is about a 30 minute walk which varies in speed and incline. the first day i tried it i actually got all the way through the warm-up before breaking out in a sweat (and jumping off).



now...for those of you who don't know me very well...i HATE to exercise. i HATE to sweat. i HATE to get out of breath therefore i am now quite miserable. i am EMBARRASSED that i am so out of shape (unless you count round as a shape). but somewhere deep within all the hate i know that tim was right and that i need to start taking better care of myself...so i sit down one day and i make a plan.



this is what i came up with:





i only exercise on days that i do not work (hence the request to work extra days)


i only exercise in the morning when i am home alone (obvious reasons)



i always put on the porch light (the ambulance should know how to find the house)



i always put my phone to speed-dial 911 (so i can tell them i am the house with the porch light on)



i always take a snack downstairs (incase i can not manage enough energy to get back up the stairs after my workout-just looking at the stairs some days makes me cry)



i always attach that silly emergency shut off cord incase the treadmill decides to once again toss me off the back. (just kidding-sorta)



i always have my IPOD music to listen to while i exercise (and i have actually finally made it past the first song recently)

the treadmill has a button on it called FAN...i am not sure exactly what FAN stands for but it certainly does not involve blowing any "significant" air so i have a NOTE TO SELF to buy a large commercial industrial size fan (perhaps from NASA).

i know that you all think i am probably exaggerating a bit...but sad to say i am not all that far off. for the past few weeks i have been heading down into that basement the whole time coming up with hundreds of other things that i could be doing instead of torturing myself...but down i go.

the last thing that i routinely do is that once i get downstairs i TAKE OFF my wedding rings (which i have been told by my children is a required attire for at least one year...) and lay them just above the STOP button. this way everytime that i want to hit the STOP button and get off i have to get thru tim first. (i know that is kinda wierd) you would be surprised how often just looking at those rings kept me on the treadmill for another few minutes.

i am glad to say that 3 times i have actually made it to the end of the entire cardio routine...and because of that i now know how it got its name. one who does the CARDIO workout has a good chance of ending up in the CARDIO intensive care unit. or at the very least feel the need for a stent or two.

i am actually seeing a slow improvement in how long i can last on the treadmill but i have to admit it is not getting any easier. there are some days i just want to scream...and because i am home alone you will never know if i actually do. i am not just a little out of shape. i hurt. i get short of breath. i ache all the time. i sweat. i shake. there are days that i want to just give up and quit and days that i wish i was working (how sad is that) but so far i have been pretty good at keeping my promise (to at least try).

many of you have told me to take it slow. keep at your own pace. i am kinda glad for the pre-set cardio workout or else i fear i would be like the slowsky's on that comcast commercial. i don't feel very motivated...just obligated!!! perhaps over time that will change a bit but for now just say a prayer for me. pray this old body can take the abuse and that this mind can admit that this is a good thing to be doing. and don't worry...i am taking it at a good pace to start.

thanks for checking in

tammy

ps...i am not liking this sudden weather change too much, although i have to admit the thought of me in capri pants has gotten me into the basement to workout a time or two lately.

and for those of you who are now afraid to ask me how i am doing (sorry about that)...now you have something else to ask...if it is my day off ask...did you treadmill today? (although perhaps asking from a distance would be wise).

7 Comments:

Anonymous The Gillott's said...

You are the greatest!!!! Praying!!! Work today?
YOU ROCK
PB

April 26, 2009 12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

;) :) ;) Oh, you definitely hit a nerve alright, and if I laugh any louder, I might wake up the house at 6:57am on a Sunday morning. ;) :) ;) Reading your blog reminds me of the tune to Jingle Bells with these lyrics:

"Read the blog, Read the blog
Laughing all the way . . .
Oh, what fun it is to read Tammy's blog everyday hey!"

Well, we can relate; sometimes our laundry hangs on the Airdyne bike! But I'm going to dust that off, too, and get started cycling.

. . . definitely consider that book idea! It would be a best seller!

I'll be praying for you everytime I am on the bike.

Louis and Martha

April 26, 2009 7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you Tammy! I just broke down and joined a fitness club a couple weeks ago. Slowly starting the process...very very slowly. Stationary bike for now, working my way to the treadmill. God Bless.

KD

April 26, 2009 4:31 PM  
Blogger Katie Dewalt said...

You're a champ!

I'm a chump! I joined the LOA gym (stands for Ladies of America...honest!) Did you know that you actually have to go and you actually have to work out to change anything? ....Who knew?

I joined it because previously, I had a membership in 24 Hour Fitness [from so long ago, it was then called Nautilus.]
Anyway, I went 4 to 5 times a week, and even worked with a trainer before I took a hiking trip to France...now mind you...that was '94 and I was 48. Every time I had a trip planned, I'd get myself in shape and I loved it so much that I thought I'd be exercising into my 80s. My Rent-a-Son would pick me up on the scooter at 6 am and we'd tear through Crow Canyon and work out for 90 minutes or so.
Oh, yeah! I used to be very faithful---until Dale moved away. Then I didn't go 'cuz it was kinda lonely.
Eventually, my neighbor and I agreed it would do us both a ton of good to stop "donating" our gym dues and actually go work out.

That was really fun and we did it for about...maybe 5 months...then Patty moved away.

I tried to go alone but found that I hardly exercised because I was mesmerized by the spandex on many of the people there and---you gotta' know---spandex is unforgiving. (Apparently no one told these folks.[I think the men were the worst! They all thought they were Arnold.]

Ultimately...I quit and put all my effort into avoiding regular exercise and testing myself to see how long until I needed a "WIDE LOAD" sign on my posterior.

Okay, so back to my feeble attempt to get in shape by joining LOA. I really was faithful for about a month, then I had a minor surgery and had to back off. However, I didn't even start up again until about 4 weeks after I was released by my doc. (Why did I wait 4 weeks? I was "preparing" myself.)

I went back half-heartedly, but my last time back was about four months ago while $26.95 comes out of my checking every month.

ALAS! You have encouraged me again, Tammy! I may be 63 in a few weeks; snap, crackle & pop with every bend or turn; sometimes wake up and wonder who's holding a hot poker to my hips...but by-golly...I'm revved up and ready to go back..................
as soon as I return from PA.
Thanks for the inspiration---on top of the entertainment value of your blog!
Love from your "lumpy-but-soon-to-be-svelte" Aunt Katie

April 27, 2009 12:27 AM  
Blogger Deb D said...

You crack me right up! I fully support you! I admire your strength! I encourage you!! Now excuse me but I'm off to finish my ice-cream...

love,
Deb

April 27, 2009 8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tammy, You crack me up every time you talk about exercise. I used to walk all the time but got lazy!!!! Now I take my grandson out in his stroller,that:s fun not exercise,hang in there!!!!!!!! Amy

April 27, 2009 11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep it up! you are doing great :)Just look forward to eating cheesecake next week. You will have burnt enough calories to enjoy it without guilt (maybe haha).
ms

April 27, 2009 8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home